Thursday, April 23, 2009

Headed for Bio-IT World '09

I'm excited to find myself with a last-minute change of plans that has me headed to Bio-IT World Conference & Expo '09 next week. It's been a number of years since I've attended, and from the look of the agenda, they've made some major progress. I'm going to be focusing on Track 1 - IT Infrastructure & Operations, which has some great sessions lined up. I'm looking forward to talking to Matt Trunnel from the Broad Institute again, those folks are involved in supporting next-gen sequencing at a truly mind-boggling scale - they have something like 30 sequencers and just announced they were acquiring another 22! This should put them close to needing to deal with something like 10 TB/day of storage. It will also be interesting to hear from the BioTeam folks, who seem to have built a pretty good reputation in the Northeast for working in the life sciences space. Wednesday's keynote from Clifford Reid, CEO of Complete Genomics and the following panel session on personalized medicine should also be interesting, as the lab where I work has also been focusing on personalized medicine for some time. It will also give me a chance to catch up with Jacob Farmer from Cambridge Computer in person, one of our trusted storage advisors.

No comments: