Monday, November 17, 2008

Where's "Head" Bubba?



Glen and I have been wondering where "Head" Bubba is... he has been at recent Sun HPC Consortium meetings, and as much as we're struck by his presence, we're even more struck by his absence this year. Enough so that we felt compelled to learn more.

To give you some sense of why this is interesting, this gentleman is the VP of IT Research and Development at Credit Suisse First Boston, has more than a passing resemblance to one of the greatest singers of all time, and who's badge (and it turns out legal name) is "Head" Bubba.

Turns out the more you look, the more interesting it gets. I hope his absence from this year's conference isn't the result of the downturn in the economy, or worse the impact of seven barrels of Jack Daniels. As someone who has kept kegs in the basement for the last 20 years, I know first hand that surviving large quantities of good beverages in easy reach is all about pacing. Plus I'm a bourbon fan (Basil Hayden's), so I'll have to ask him more about his experiences with the great Tennessee whiskey next time I see him.

Update 11/20/08 16:44 - He's Here After All - I ran into HB this afternoon outside one of the conference sessions, introduced myself and had a brief conversation with and one of his colleagues. "Head" doesn't drink, but gives away the bottles of Jack to people with creative technology ideas - he mentioned a couple of recent ones (individuals at Mellanox and I think Stanford), which I think is really cool. He suggested that maybe I could come up with an idea and get a bottle, which I said I thought was unlikely. I mentioned that I am a homebrewer, and his colleague suggested that perhaps I could improve on the venerable VAXtap, and I said I thought that was more in my league. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for an old half rack coming out of the data center.

Update 7/1/11 - HB and JD - I haven't been back to SC since 2008, however I got email from HB this morning, looks like I've qualified for a bottle from his latest barrel! I haven't made any progress on the VAXtap, inspiring as the recent New York Times article about the surge in popularity of home brewing might be.

8 comments:

Prentice said...

"Head" Bubba was on my flight home from Austin to Newark International. He was 3-4 rows ahead of me, putting him in either seat 12C or 13C.

G said...

I did not see "Head" Bubba at SC09. Perhaps we just did not cross paths.

Prentice said...

I didn't see him, either. He's hard to miss, too.

Prentice said...

I didn't see you, either.

Michael Stevens said...

Did anyone see him at SC'10? If he was there I missed him. Of course with the size of that convention center it would be easy.

Prentice said...

I didn't see him at SC10, either. As I stated in an earlier post, He's hard to miss. As big as the SC conferences are, I saw him repeatedly at SC08, which was the last confirmed sighting at an SC conference.

The One and The Only The Head Bubba said...

The Head Bubba is currently working at Oktay Technology as Head of Research and Technology...

If you have interesting technology or did something great worthy of getting a special bottle from The Head Bubba's Jack Daniel's Single Barrel... ping me ...

my email is:

squire.head.bubba@oktaytech.com


BTW: Currently arranging my 10th tasting for my 10th barrel in 10 years!

Lean Beans said...

To all who knew and loved Head Bubba it is sad to say that the Head Bubba has suddenly passed away. He is to be so greatly missed and may his name be never forgotten and his memory live on forever.

His lifelong friend, " Lean Bean " aka Scott.